Monday, January 18, 2016

Romantic Reads



     Last week I was reading a forum where the librarian was asking for romantic recommendations for their February reading group and it made me think. What is it about ‘romance’ books that when asked if they read them will have many readers vehemently denying they have ever cracked one open? Is it because the term 'romance novel' brings to mind the so-called bodice ripper books with the ruggedly handsome bare chested hero adorning the cover?

     According to Huff Post Books Blog, the romance industry is BIG. Apparently it is the second largest fiction genre and outsells even science fiction and fantasy. This means there are a lot of romance readers out there even if they won't admit it in public and not all of them can possibly be the stereotypical lonely single woman longing for a bit of romance in their lives. I admit I like witty dialogue, strong characters, and a bit of romance. Does that make me a romance reader? Perhaps in the broadest of terms as I like to read a variety of genres but in honor of February, I will call myself a romance reader.

     What about you gentle readers, do you like novels with romantic themes? What are your swoon-worthy novels that you reach for time and time again? Here is the list I compiled of my top ten must reads with romantic themes. Yes, it does tend to be a little Jane Austen heavy at the end but what can I say, I love her witty dialogue…not to mention Mr. Darcy.

10.  North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.
9. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.
8. Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
7. The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
5. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster.
4. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.
3. Persuasion by Jane Austen.
2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.
1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Reference
Maya Rodale, "Who is the Romance Novel Reader?",  The Blog May 07, 2015.


No comments: