Friday, March 11, 2016

What's in Your Book?



      You never know what you will find in library books or books donated to the library. As the acquisitions supervisor, I receive all the books donated to our library or those that are being weeded from the collection. In discarded library books I usually only find mundane items such as bookmarks are slips of paper, however, the fun begins with donated books.


      I have found dried pressed flowers, shamrocks, prayer cards, napkins, notes, postcards, receipts, and much more. The above photo is just a sampling from one side of the book truck. My favorite is the letter that came in a returned book. Apparently the book was checked out decades ago as an undergraduate and found during a move. They politely mailed it back with a nice apologetic note. 

      What do I do with these accumulated treasures? I toss everything in a large envelope, except insects and dirty Kleenex, and someday will make a bulletin display of found items. Recognize this? Is it yours? Come and get it. I’ve heard that others have found slices of bacon in returned books. Really, what a waste of bacon! I mean what on earth happened that you grabbed the last slice and used it as a bookmark? What unusual items have you found?

No comments: