Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A tap..tap..tapping



I’ve mentioned before that I arrive early so I can walk all four floors and get some of my steps in for the day. I enjoy my quiet time walking through the stacks and letting my mind float free. Just me and the quiet library until this morning. I was on the 4th floor near the Greek and Latin texts when I heard a tapping from outside the window.

“…suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.”

            What Was That?!! I’m on the 4th floor for crying out loud and alone in the library. My heart began to beat faster as I neared the window. I peered through the blind and saw only the beautiful pink streaked sunrise so I continued my walk through the stacks to the other side. My imagination was in full throttle as I wondered what this mysterious tapping was. Suddenly, as I neared the final stack, I again heard a rapping at the window. I stopped,

“..long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,”

            I heard no sound except my beating heart. As a fan of horror and sci-fi I’m sure you cannot begin to imagine the thoughts going through my head and yet I needed to know. I tiptoed ever closer to the window and waited breathlessly for the next tap-tap-tap. 

There! Quickly I peered through the blind and found the source of my distress. Not a raven but a large black crow. With a loud raucous CAW he sprang aloft in the dawning light to perform another tap-tap-tap flight and hopefully to return to my library,

“Nevermore.”



My apologies to Edgar Allan Poe’s The Raven.

No comments: