Monday, May 28, 2012

Basset in the Kitchen

Meet Leonard, my basset in the kitchen!  Recently, I've discovered Ree Drummond's Pioneer Woman show on the Food Network, as well as her blog, and I was inspired to create my own show "Basset in the Kitchen."  Leonard is my constant companion when I am in the kitchen.  He listens intently as I talk to him about each step in a recipe and is always eager to be a taste tester and bus boy.  In other words, he cleans up all the stuff I drop on the floor!

Today's recipe is Ree's "Spicy Pop Pulled Pork."  Keith is driving back, with my 11 week old basset puppy, from visiting Kevin in Oklahoma and Rob is flying out to New Jersey tonight so I thought this would be a perfect Memorial Day dinner.

I've quartered the onions and placed them on the bottom of the pan, placed the seasoned pork butt on top, and am preparing to add the chipotle peppers. Sounds delicious so far.
I've added the chipotle peppers, brown sugar, and am now adding 2 cans of Dr. Pepper.  This ingredient is questionable in my mind as I can't stand the taste or smell of Dr. Pepper. To me it is similar to Robitussin cough syrup but I am trusting Ree to not steer me wrong.  She promises it will be a spicy sweet sauce and didn't mention cough syrup so....pour away.  If it doesn't turn out I'm thinking a couple bottles of Shiner Bock beer would be an acceptable substitute next time.

Leonard, my Basset in the Kitchen, is on clean up duty.  He makes double sure I didn't drop anything.  I've placed the pot in the oven for 6 hours and now it's time for relaxing and knitting.
 Dinner is served and what a success!  I highly recommend this recipe.  I thickened the sauce with a little cornstarch and served it on the side as it is very spicy. The best part is that you really can't tell that there were 2 cans of Dr. Pepper in it...that's right not a hint of cough syrup.

1 comment:

Rob Roy Hathaway said...

Well..... I LOVE Dr. Pepper, as you know, so I'm looking forwaed to it along with your potato salad & Company Beans!