Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Silence Descends Once Again


Silence has descended once again in our home. Our oldest son has returned to Norman after a quick visit and our youngest has returned to the seminary. You would think that I would be used to it by now but I'm not. I find myself walking down the hall to ask a quick question or share a thought and then find the empty rooms. Doing the last load of laundry is bittersweet as I find myself folding their clothes and taking them to their rooms. Yes, the laundry is finished but their rooms are empty. Children are a gift from God and He has blessed my husband and me with two wonderful sons. I give thanks every day for them and treasure the moments we have together. Two of my friends are experiencing these same emotional moments this year. My oldest and dearest friend has just delivered her youngest to begin his freshman year at college and one of my newest knitting friends dropped her daughter off on her first day of kindergarten.

We are all finding solace in our knitting. Somehow the gentle click of needles and the textural sensation of fiber is helping to ease our sense of loss. I have cast on a new cardigan jacket as I want to learn how to make sleeves so I can knit sweaters for my sons, Fran stopped on the way home from college to buy yarn to make sweaters, and Cherie is also knitting away. Knitting our children a garment created with love is our way to hold on to them even when we're not there. With each knit and purl, we knit our love, our hopes, and our dreams for our children.

3 comments:

NaloMeli said...

I see the same sadness in my sister's eyes as her son moves from 6th to 7th grade. She picks up her crochet hook, yarn, and works the worries away.

Rob Roy Hathaway said...

You need to put a Big "K" on their sweaters now!

Anonymous said...

Awww... You made me cry! :) It is so bittersweet. I want her to do well, but at the same time, I want to hold her so close and remind me that she's still my baby.
So sorry the house is empty again.